Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Is Beauty Only Skin Deep?

"Beauty's but skin deep; nay, it is not so:
It floats but on the skin beneath the skin,
That, like pure air, scarce hides her fullest flow:
It is so subtle, fading, fragile, and thin:
Were she skin-deep, she could not be so shallow
To win but fools her purity to hallow. "

- John Davies of Hereford

If you are interested click here for the story behind this quote.

On average, a woman puts on around 11 pounds of lipcare a year according to ecofabulous. Wow. That is a lot of lip balm and lipstick. Imagine how much of this is ingested. It definitely makes me think twice about what I put on my lips. But it does not stop there, what about everything else that we put on our skin? What is safe? What is not? These have been the questions that I have been struggling with lately.

I have discovered Skin Deep, the Environmental Working Groups Cosmetic Safety Database. I especially like the Parents Guide, which gives you the ingredients to avoid and outlines some good picks for products in certain categories.

I have been slowly trying to change my shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion, and make-up to safer brands. I now use a bar soap made by Pure & Natural. The packaging is biodegradeable and contains seeds that can be planted. My shampoo, conditioner, and lotion are paraben free. I use Alba & Burt's Bees lip balm. I am still working on my make-up.

It is very overwhelming at times with so many choices and so many opinions. I want the product to be safe for the environment and safe for my family. Plus, I want it to work. I don't want my hair to look greasy. I don't want my face broken out. I don't want to stink. I wish I could skip make-up altogether, but that is not going to happen.

Like everything else in my life, it is hard to strike a balance between good and good for me (and everyone else). For now I am muddling my way through. Doing the best I can with what I have available to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya! I'm trying to cut out some of the chemicals in my life as well. I just moved to San Diego 6 months ago ...so sunscreen is HUGE ISSUE!! It doesn't seem to work without the chemicals. Anyway, I'm going to try to keep my eye out for new products.
thanks!
Liz
GreatGreenBaby.com

Crafty Green Poet said...

It's so difficult to find truly environmentally friendly toiletries and cosmetics that work well, even some so called green brands aren't really that environmentally friendly. I've never worn make up and have managed to find good environmentally friendly lip balm and deoderant(Neals Yard) and hair products (Yaoh) and soaps (several brands) but the rest i still struggle with.

Jen said...

I know what you mean. Right now it is my biggest challenge.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails