Pages

Monday, May 18, 2009

Emerging

I can already tell this is going to be a better week. Not that last week was horrible, but I am back to myself today. The sun is shining. We had a great weekend. Life is good.

I finally planted my garden last weekend. I spent several hours on Sunday pulling weeds, digging, and mixing dirt. Then the kids helped plant all the seeds. I was sore, tired, and convinced nothing was going to grow in my garden. I felt like I threw it together with little thought and planning.

I checked on the garden every day and the kids watered it on the days it did not rain. Then on Thursday we noticed our first little seedlings. The kids were beyond excited and I felt a sense of relief. Maybe this will work after all.

DSC_1789-edited_filtered

These are pole beans. They came up first and I swear they doubled in size in just one day.

DSC_1803-edited_filtered

This is spinach.

Squash

This is squash. They started popping out yesterday.




garden

I don't have much coming up in my herb garden yet. I planted a basil and cilantro plant several weeks ago and the kids love grabbing a leaf a nibbling on it. Harper likes the cilantro and Miller prefers the basil. We still have strawberries growing, but have not had one ripen enough to pick. Our little garden is making me really happy right now.

I am choosing the first photo of the pole bean as my best shot because it made my week seeing those little guys pop up.

Visit Tracey's for more Best Shot Monday.

13 comments:

Amy Jo said...

I never in my life imagined I'd find gardening so utterly satisfying. We start our seeds indoors in the early spring and then transplant them in May. The funny thing is that the only crop that hasn't really taken off is our beans. We got bush beans and I think they bolted because I kept them inside too long. Oh well!

No matter. Those are all great shots. I like the bean shot as well as the strawberry! Good luck with your produce!

HipMomma said...

Fantastic! My hubs is just finishing up building our raised bed. Ours has to be fenced around it because of the deer. The girls have been waiting "forever" to plant. I hope all of his hard work pays off with some nice veggies.

Dawn said...

Lovely veggie shots!! Yay for you all~

Been taking a break from the blog for awhile myself, enjoy your week!

:)

Cara said...

I love your best shot, it looks like the plant is open up its arms and soaking in the sun. I just planted herbs and the little sprouts make me happy when I see them each morning in the window sill. I love fresh basil in about everything!

L~ said...

congrats! Gardening is a great way to teach reverence for our planet.

Kimberly said...

Just seeing your photos makes me wish for a garden of my own. I've been thinking about planting some onions at least out on the patio in some containers. Hmm, maybe I'll do that. :)

Joanna said...

I love your herb garden and the fact that the kids like to pick the leaves and nibble. What great memories to have. Great shots Jen.

Jaimee said...

Glad you're feeling better this week! I'm seriously in awe of your gardening! I kill everything plant I touch, so I don't know if I will ever be able to have a garden! Thanks for sharing yours...lovely shots too!

Unknown said...

Yeah! Gardening is very good therapy for the soul. Ours is coming along and as I was watering tonight I thought that I should really go out and take some pics. *sigh* Maybe tomorrow.

I like the little spinach sprouts!

Stacy said...

Wonderful shots, Jen! I can imagine you will have lots of wonderful home grown veggies this summer. It seems to take my basil and cilatro several weeks to pop out of the ground, too. I planted mine 2 weeks ago. I should probably check to see if something is coming up!

Kimberly said...

I can only imagine the wonderful fresh goodness that will be coming from your garden. There is nothing better than fresh veggies and fruits from your own garden. As a preacher's kid we would get alot of homegrown goodies from our church members. We'd get a call from someone saying, "Send Kimberly on over! We've got a couple of bags of produce for ya!" I'd always get excited when I'd see green tomatoes in a bag! Needless to say, we always ate well. :)

Christina said...

Oooh, how exciting to see those tender shoots come up! You are going to have so much wonderful fresh prdouce before long!!

Lisa said...

Looks great! I believe you about the beans! Mine are growing like crazy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails