Pages

Friday, May 8, 2009

Sheltered

My beautiful baby girl

Harper had soccer practice last night. During one of the water breaks, all the girls ran over to where the parents were sitting and grabbed their drinks. One of her teammates asked her mother if she could have a sip of her coke. The mother handed the little girl the coke. Harper promptly asked her what she was drinking. The girl looked at her a little bewildered. Then Harper asked her, "Is that root beer or sprite?" The girl finally answered, "No, it's coke." Harper responded, "Oh, my mom doesn't let me drink coke."

I just smiled and let it go as Harper ran back to continue practice. At first I was a little embarrassed because I just imagined that the other mothers were thinking I was super strict or a health nut. The truth is that my husband and I neither one drink coke. We do allow her to have soda if we are out at a restaurant, but avoid the caffeinated ones. The only time she has asked me for a coke was at a birthday party where other girls were drinking coke. I said no on this occassion because it was 7:30 pm on a school night.

The more I thought about it though the more I realized that I was kind of proud that she didn't know what the girl was drinking. It made me realize that she might be a little sheltered or naive, but hey she is only 4 (almost 5). Eventhough, I would prefer her to avoid soft drinks all together. I know that is probably not going to happen. I am just being realistic. All I can do is educate her and provide her with healthier alternatives so when she is old enough to make her own decisions hopefully she will make good ones. In the meantime, I think I will keep on sheltering her as long as I can.

10 comments:

L~ said...

I tend to get flack for sheltering my kids. Sun screen is foolish! No pop?! Public commercial free television programs?? No Junior Kindergarten?! And the list goes on...but if i don't do this job, who will?? Go forth and Shelter, my mom friend!!

Killlashandra said...

I am totally with you about caffeinated soda drinks. There are so many better alternatives and the last thing kids need is something to fill them full of fake energy that just makes them crash. Rootbeer and sprite are popular in our house too. :)

Christina said...

Personally, I say more power to you, girlfriend! It's a GOOD thing. Nadia drinks and prefers water 90% of the time...but she does get her share of soda because my hubby is addicted and she mooches off of him. *sigh*

LOVE the picture, and perfect for this post!

Dawn said...

Our kids don't drink it either and neither do we...sometimes AJ get's really curious about it and I liken it to drinking a cup full of sugar that has chemicals in it. He isn't too eager to try it after that ;)

Also, I know kids love sweets (who doesn't!) so we bake often, make our own ice-cream, go out to get a treat....I don't want them to feel like they never get to have sweets, we just want them to learn how to make good food choices in the future.

PS-Don't be swayed by what other's think! Show Harper it's ok to think differently than the masses, you don't have to do things the same way as others and your ideas and ways of parenting are the best for your family. I always remind myself that doing the right thing is not always the easiest :)

Kimberly said...

Way to go! Keep up the good job.

Unknown said...

Good for you, Jen! I am proud that the girls have never had any coke either...that is the last thing they need! I gave Em Sprite the other day because her tummy was upset, but now she thinks it is only something that you have when you are sick! :-) Neither of them like the bubbles really and prefer milk and water.

Addie, however, claims to love Iced Tea and tries to sneak drinks of mine all the time.

They are only small for such a short period of time, I think sheltering them is a very good idea!

MGF said...

Nice job. My kids call it brown soda, which my 6 and 4 yo first tried this year. I think that they should be shelter from some things for as long as possible.

Jaimee said...

I think it's great! Since my DH drinks coke all the time, Caden definitely knows what it is and begs for it constantly - BUT, he doesn't get more than a couple of sips. We didn't grow up with sodas around our house, and I don't want my kids growing up sucking down soda left and right either! Of course, in TX she would know "coke" because that is what we call soda - I guess we like to make things as confusing as possible! :)

Stacy said...

Good for you! Our kids have only ever had root beer a few times and we don't really let them have juice much either. It's usually water or milk. We drink water (from the tap!) most of the time ourselves, too.

My Dad said we were too strict in what we give the kids, but that is okay. They get enough bad influence at daycare that we are fine to be stricter with them at home.

Joanna said...

I am so glad I started Ella on water when she was younger. I agree though, they dont need soda at this age. Good for you!

Look at the innocence in this shot Jen. So wonderful

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails