Pages

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

New Greener Mama Update

On April 7th I listed some goals that I would like to accomplish in April to make me a New Greener Mama. I thought I would give everyone an update on my progress. You know something to keep me honest.

1. Take shorter showers (this is probably going to be the hardest for me)- I am down to 10 minutes most of the time. I am not sure if I will be able to get to 5 minutes.

2. Install a low flow showerhead in our bathroom.- Put this on my list for next month. I have been looking, but have not found one I am completely sold on.

3. Start unplugging appliances such as coffee maker and toaster when not in use. (maybe install a power strip that can be turned off)- I now unplug these items when not in use.
4. Constistently turn off the power strip for the computer and accessories.- I actually bought a Smart Power Strip hoping to simplify this whole process. Well, it does not work right. I think it is because we have a laptop. I am going to try it on our entertainment system next.

5. Turn off the lights in the rooms not in use.- No extra lights on in our house any more.

6. Start recycling cardboard, cereal boxes, etc. (I am not sure why we don't do this already)- Done

7. Only wash my clothes if they are truly dirty. ( I have a tendency to wear something once and throw it in the laundry)- I have been trying to wear things more than once, but with toddlers it is difficult. I am more aware of what I throw into the laundry though.

8. Mix up some more homemade cleaners to have on hand for cleaning- I have been using homemade cleaners to clean. This is still a work in progress though.

9. Drink more water (means less bottles, cans, etc.)-I am doing better.

10. Plug the TV, DVD player, Wii, etc into a power strip and turn it off when not in use.- I have not done this yet. We have a VERY large entertainment center and I have procrastinated on this one. I want to try the Smart Strip on it so I will do it soon.

Overall, I feel pretty good about my progress. I still have some things to do, but we are getting there.

Does anyone else have any green goals they would like to share? Don't be afraid. Leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.

5 comments:

La Mama Naturale' said...

Hi there,

I recently kicked the water bottle habit and started using a sigg bottle to refill over and over again!

We also started composting both kitchen craps and doggie doo!!

Making our breads, butter, nut butters, mayo, granola- etc.

We're also raising chickens for fresh eggs!

Joined our local CSA!

Jen said...

We have also kicked the water bottle habit and all have Sigg bottles. We are composting and going to the Farmers Market too. That is awesome that you are making your own bread, butter, mayo, and you have chickens!!!

Michele Cronsell said...

We decided to ban the Ziploc bags whenever possible. We were using 6-8 bags every day in our lunches and now use rubbermaid containers in our lunch boxes!

zzyytt said...

tory burch shoes
hogan outlet online
links of london
cheap nfl jerseys
coach factory outlet
yeezys
retro jordans
adidas shoes
longchamp bags
kevin durant shoes

zzyytt said...

michael kors handbags
yeezy 700
michael kors outlet online
michael jordan shoes
balenciaga triple s
off white shoes
adidas pure boost
michael kors outlet online
michael kors handbags
nike cortez men

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails