Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Theme Thursday- Friendship

I am the oldest of three. I have two brothers. One that is two years younger than me and one that is thirteen years younger. For a good portion of my childhood (the first 13 years), it was just me and my brother. Although, I am sure we had our moments. For the most part we always got along. We shared friends and interests. I can't imagine what life would have been like without him.

When my youngest brother was born, the dynamics of our family changed. We now had a baby in our house and I loved it. I was more than happy to spend time with my baby brother. He was 5 when I went to college and I missed him terribly.

Eventhough I have very different relationships with each of my brothers, I consider them my friends. I know that no matter what I can count on them.

When I found out I was pregnant with my son, I immediately did the math and realized that my kids would be 2 years apart. Just like me and my oldest brother. This revelation conjured up all kinds of marvelous childhood memories. Maybe my expectations were too high or maybe I haven't given it enough time, but my kids aren't there yet.

There are fleeting moments when my son can only be comforted by my daughter or they do something nice for the each other. It gives me a glimpse into what is hopefully to come. I want more than anything for them to look at each other as friends not just siblings.

So when I saw that the topic for Theme Thursday this week was Friendship, this is the first thing that came to my mind. The friendship that is found between siblings. I wanted to be able to capture that this week.


DSC_1457




together




on a rock

See more great friendships over at Stacy's.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely understand what you mean; it's very important to me that my kids are all friends. I have a brother who is 18 months younger than me, and another who is four years younger, and we've never really been "friends." To this day I barely know what's going on in their lives. I don't want that for my kids!

Stacy said...

Jen, these are wonderful shots of your children as friends! I think it takes awhile. Anya is 3 and Kai is 4.5 and it has been probably in the last 6 months that they have really started playing together better. My sister was 22 months older than me, so I know what you mean about wanting them to be friends. :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post; such sweet shots.

My hooligans are 23 months apart n they were the absolute best of buddies for a long time, such a magical time it was!

Now, they're teenagers(15 and 13)...need I say more?!? ;)

In all seriousness, I believe there's a deep and abiding loving friendship there that will be there for both of them.

~~

MGF said...

It is nice to hear that they can only comfort each other.
That first picture looks like he likes his sister.

iMother2.0 said...

this was great for me...I'm expecting our second child, and hope that our children will be great friends.

Christina said...

Really, really great shots! I love them.

That bond between siblings is the biggest reason I sturggle with the question of whether we should have another child...

Jaimee said...

AWESOME perspective in these shots! I love that last one...precious! They will get there, I'm sure!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails