Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Project Valentine's Day Cards

Last year after spending way too much time on Harper's classroom valentines, I swore I wouldn't do it again. Her cards were the only homemade ones in the bunch. Not that it matters, but it left me feeling like most people just don't care. Why should I?


DSC_0248-edited

I wanted her Valentine's to be personal. I wanted her to be a part of the process. She colored every single card. I probably thought about it way too much and should have just grabbed a box of mass produced cards signed her name to it and called it a day. Well, unforunately that is just not in my nature. So here we are again. Valentine's Day is drawing closer and yet again I find myself obessed with classroom Valentine's. I just can't bring myself to buy any. There is something in me that just can't do it.

DSC_0245-edited

The only difference this year is I have 2 sets of cards to worry about, one for Harper and one for Miller. I have vowed not to spend any money on materials (unless I make the dum-dum flowers in the photo below and I will have to buy dum-dums). I have plenty here we can use. I have also decided to keep it simple. I just want them to be a part of the process. I have many ideas swimming around in my head, but have not settled on one yet.


DSC_0243-edited

I thought I would throw out a couple of other green options if you do not want to go the handmade route. A good compromise is the Stubby Pencil Studio set. The kids still color the cards, but most of the work is already done. You can also purchase this set from Endangered Species Chocolate. For $9.95 you get 24 cards and 24 pieces of chocolate. Plus 10% of their net profits are donated to help support species, habitat and humanity. Gotta love that.


Head over to Stacy's to see some more projects.

12 comments:

Stacy said...

Oh, you crafty momma, you! I love those dumdum flowers - that is a cute idea! Hopefully the moms last year may have taken a cue from you and you may see at least one other handmade card. Hopefully?? Well, in any case, you will have some fun personalized cards for their friends. Great job!

Killlashandra said...

I like the sucker holder idea. I may use that one. My 4-H kids are supposed to make valentines cards for the residents of an elderly home for a community service visit on Valentines day. Sugar free lollipops might work. :)

Although I saw another idea over at Scribbit for making the little clay hearts out of baked clay then threading them on a piece of ribbon and attaching to a piece of decorated card stock. I kinda like that one too.

Luckily my 2 oldest are interested in giving out valentines anymore. ;) Then my youngest hasn't caught on yet.

jamestownboys said...

It is nice to hear your valentine card sentiments - I think the "hurry up/commercialized/no thought attached" attitude has crept into a lot of holidays and I like to see you slow down and make the valentines more meaningful. And what a great way to spend time with your kids! You have inspired me this year :) Thank you!!!

Rose said...

What great ideas! Harrison goes to a Jewish preschool, so I don't have to worry about the cards there yet. Plus his grandparents send him cards that he gives to his little friends at church and playgroups. But I love your ideas!

Shelly at Aperture of My Eye said...

What a great idea! I agree - a personalized card/gift means so much more.

Megan said...

i admit it: i go to target and buy two boxes (one for each boy) and they sign their names. that's it. kudos to you for making it more special! that's a great idea with the lollies.

Dawn said...

Buy the ones from Endangered Species Chocolate!!! My best friend works there as head of quality control and the owners are so nice!

They are a wonderful company who is wonderful to their employees...I just had a piece of their dark chocolate this morning...I did say I was a chocoholic!

I LOVE the home-made cards..we make them every year too~

:)

Unknown said...

We make them every year too...but this year the girls found these puzzle cards at Target with puppies for their classes, and there was no talking them out of them.

They were cheap so I finally gave in, but I know we'll end up making some for our close friends and family. And I love the lollipop one...that is cool!

Jaimee said...

Love the dum dum flowers!

Joanna said...

What a good Mommy you are! I would probably go out and buy the packaged cards, because I am just not that crafty. I love the rose paper. Ella loves Dum Dum's! The holder is a great idea.

Maggie said...

I am in awe of your craftiness -- you are amazing!

zzyytt said...

adidas stan smith
michael kors factory outlet
air max 270
replica rolex
caterpillar boots
golden goose
fitflops sale clearance
curry 5
kobe 9
links of london

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails