Pages

Monday, July 21, 2008

How Things Change You and my BSM

There are things in your life that change you. People, experiences, and just living life changes who you are. Maybe not the core of who you are, but little things about you. (When you are in the car for about 36 hours, you have too much time to think.) You might not always know it or recognize it. You just know you are different somehow.

I have always been a tad bit obsessed with our children getting enough sleep and sticking to a schedule. I have to admit that when they have meltdowns, are grumpy, or down right bad I tend to blame it on lack of sleep. For some reason, I think our lives are going to spin out of control if they stay up too late or miss a nap. Well, during our trip I just let it go. I did not care if they stayed up too late or only napped for 30 minutes. I tried to enjoy the moment and knew my kids would be ok. It felt so good to not worry about it. Guess what? The kids dealt with it just fine. Hmmm.....who would of thought? That's not to say they can skip naps every day and go to bed whenever they want, but maybe from now on I will chill out. That's one thing I took away from this trip.

DSC_0269

(This is the only time all 3 kids were asleep in the car at the same time)

Another thing I realized is taking care of my kids is not always work. I know that sounds bad, but I work full time, come home, cook dinner, spend a little time with the kids, then start the bedtime routine (bath, movie, brush teeth, books, bed). Most days it seems like work. On the weekends, we have cleaning, laundry, yard work, and grocery shopping to do. I feel like I have little time to truly enjoy them. With no chores, lots of time in the car, and fun things to do, I had time to truly enjoy them. This is also sad, but I feel like I know them so much better now. My daughter acts like she is all grown up and does not need me anymore, yeah she is only 4. She is so independent. I look at her and I am so proud of who she has already become. I bonded with my niece and know her so much better. She has such a sweet little voice and a contagious cheerful attitude. I could listen to my son talk for hours. It amazes me what he comprehends. His broken up sentences put a smile on my face no matter what.



Bree

(Oh my goodness, she is so cute. Her eyes get me every time.)

I also realized that I need to reevaluate some things in my life. What is truly important to me? If I want to change my lifestyle and be "green", I need to do it 100%. It is too easy to succomb to convenience and end up right back where I started. I think I am ready to step it up a notch. I promise some new green goals this week. Oh, and I want to brew my own beer and start sewing more. Thought I would throw those in there too. To end my very philosophical post, here is my Best Shot Monday. I am not sure why this photo. I think it is the look he is giving me. It's just him.



BSM

Head over to Tracey's for more great shots.

12 comments:

Christina said...

What a lovely post. I think we all feel that way, caught up in the day to day "work" of life without stopping to really enjoy and appreciate those little moments. Thanks for the reminder.

And the three sleeping kiddos picture? Precious!

Killlashandra said...

I love the picture of them all sleeping. Probably didn't happen often but what a brief moment of respite in the car. :)

Anonymous said...

I think all moms will identify with your post. It's always the unexpected moments that teach me so much about life and in particular, about my kids and motherhood.

What an adorable bunch of kids! Each so cute, but yeah, something about that last expression. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know, I love that first shot. I have always been a stickler for naps and schedules too. I even made sure that when we went out to be home right in time for bed. Good work at letting go. It's hard.

Megan said...

that car/nap shot is great -- probably one you'll never get again, either :)!

Christine said...

Love your blog! The kids are so cute. I agree with the chilling out on the strict schedule- sometimes you have to go with the flow :)

Kara said...

What cute kids!! And I wish I knew how to sew - that would be awesome.

Maggie said...

I am glad that I am not the only one who has a tendency to be a sleep nazi!

They are SO CUTE -- and getting so big!

Jaimee said...

I'm a fellow sleep Nazi...it can keep you sane, but I agree it is important to be somewhat flexible.

kim said...

Love that first photo. I'll never understand how kids can sleep in the most awkward looking positions.

Julie said...

I just love those wide-open eyes!

Rose said...

That picture makes ME SMILE!! I love it. (but I love the cupcake right below it too.)

I'm definitely not green enough, I don't know if I'll ever get there. I want to.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails