Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Lean Mean Green Hygiene

DSC_0520

As I mentioned here and here, one of my biggest challenges so far has been "greening" my cosmetics, soaps, and lotions. I settled on a face lotion and a body lotion without much problem, but shampoo has been a whole different story.

I started my shampoo makeover with the Whole Foods 365 brand. It contains no preservatives or parabens. It was fine, but nothing special. While at K-Mart one day, I came across a bunch of Jason products heavily discounted. I picked up some Tea Tree Oil Scalp Normalizing shampoo and Aloe Vera conditioner. The first few times I used the shampoo I was not impressed. It has a very strong smell. After some experimenting, I discovered that I do not need the conditioner after using this shampoo. When I use the shampoo alone, it's not too bad.

Still on a mission to find something perfect, I decided to try Burt's Bees Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar. The idea of a bar was immediately appealing, since there would very little packaging. The bar smells wonderful, but it is hard to get a good lather and when dried my hair just looks stringy and feels funny. I tried using a little Jojoba oil when I got out of the shower and before I dried my hair, but then my hair just felt icky. Guess I will stick with the Tree Tree Oil Shampoo for now.

The second thing I have been focusing on is deodorant. I searched the EWG's cosmetic database and found Almay's Clear Gel Hypoallergenic Antipersperant & Deoderant was rated a 1. I have been using it for about a month and it works really well. I also tried Lady Mitchum Clear Gel Unscented, but I felt stinky after a couple of hours. Both contain ALUMINUM ZIRCONIUM TETRACHLOROHYDREX, which supposedly is not as readily absorbed into the skin as other Aluminum compounds. It basically clogs the pores preventing the pores from releaasing sweat. I still want to try the Crystal, but will have to use up my current deodorant first. I thought about making some like Angry Chicken, but I am just not sure I am that adventurous yet.

I know you guys were all wondering about my personal hygiene, right? Well, there you go. If I smell a little funny now you will know why.

2 comments:

Olugbemisola (Mrs.Pilkington) said...

First time commenter...

Dr. Bronner's liquid soaps work well as shampoos (and practically anything else). I like the tea tree oil, lavender, or peppermint. Works great, and we follow it up with a cider vinegar rinse.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of anything with Tea Tree Oil or peppermint--I just dislike smelling medicinal. One word in organic hair care: Giovanni. Love it all! I use the shampoo, leave-in conditioner, mousse and hairspray. Salon quality with non-toxic ingredients and a healthy chunk of them organic. Giovanni makes my beauty routine feel much more healthy and eco-friendly. And I'm a big fan of the crystal deodorant!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails