Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Toddler Travel Tips Anyone?

DSC_0667

I have been compiling a list of travel tips and activities to entertain 3 young kids on our journey from Tennessee to Minnesota. I know some our obvious, but I thought it would help to have them all listed out.


DSC_0668


The first thing I did was make I Spy Bags for the kids. I originally saw the idea over at Nature Moms and knew I had to make some of my own. I did look at several tutorials, but like most sewing projects I attempt I just winged it. The kids might be a little young for them, but hopefully they will come in handy.


DSC_0664

The next thing I did was buy some eco-friendly, hypo-allergenic, washable travel pillows. Using the leftover fabric from the I Spy Bags, I made some cute little pillowcases. The pillows are a little bigger than I had envisioned, but they will do. (The first 2 photos show the other side of the pillow)

We do have a DVD player in our van so that is a bonus. We have a HUGE collection of movies. We let each child pick out a new movie so they have something new to watch.

I downloaded some free audio books and put them on my ipod. I think this will be good around nap time. Storynory has some great stories and there are several podcasts on iTunes that have free stories as well.

I found this website MomsMinivan.com, which is packed with tons of printables and travel ideas. I am excited about playing some travel bingo.

Parent Hacks and Family Fun have some great travel tips.

I plan to have snacks and treats readily available for melt down moments. I read somewhere that you can set a timer to go off every 30 min- 1 hour. When the timer goes off, they get some sort of treat no matter what is happening. I am not sure that we will do that because that would be a lot of treats, but I think it is a good concept.

We have lots of books, stickers, coloring books, and small toys ready to go. The only thing left to do now is pack. UUUGGGGHHHH!!

Anyone have any advice they want to share?

5 comments:

Stacy said...

I love those I spy bags and pillow cases - great job on them!

Do you have flash cards at all? I have them for restaurants where we go through all the animals and their names. The kids love to "beat" each other to the right answer. Our cards also have information on the back of the cards about each animal.

Allison said...

Before children my husband and I made up the Alphabet Game. All you do is call out the letters in alphabetical order as you see them on licence plates, signs and billboards. The rules are simple, no looking behind you, i.e. rear view mirror and no calling from the same place. For example, if there is an "f" on a licence plate only one person can call it. We play now with our kids. You can also do numbers. There is an extra rule for that one, no mile markers. When you conquer the alphabet game, spell out your name or other words.
And you can always catch out-of- state licence plates. Count stop signs. Count cows, this one is funny because the kids soon find out how hard it is and give up.

I love your spy bags. I bet you could make a killing on those.

Joanna said...

Ya, those ISpy bags are a good idea. Gosh...snacks, movies (hopefully naptime) are all I got for our trip. But we shouldnt be more than 6 hours. You have totally been on the prowl, havent you? I hope you get some good ideas. I will be stopping by to see what everyone says! :0)

Anonymous said...

Wow!! You are so creative. Like your idea of ispy bags & other ideas too for comfortably traveling with kids.

Unknown said...

zzzzz2018.6.27
jordans
pandora jewelry outlet
nike huarache
red bottoms
moncler jackets
ralph lauren outlet
canada goose uk
hugo boss outlet
dsquared
bottega

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails