Pages

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Weebles Wobble But They Don't Fall Down

After reading so many blogs and looking at so many photos taken with a 50mm lens, I have been itching to try one out for myself. Well, since I have a D60 and the Nikon 50mm will not auto focus with my camera I have been a bit bummed. I know I could use the 50mm on my camera, but I would have to manually focus. So this got me thinking. If I have to manual focus anyways, why not try to find an older lens and save a little money. I went on ebay and ended up buying a Nikon EM with a 50 mm f/1.8 E Series lens. This camera was made in 1979. I thought it was worth a shot (pun intended). I received my camera and lens in the mail yesterday and immediately attached the lens to my D60. When I use this lens I have to shoot in manual mode. Plus I have to manually focus, which I am discovering is rather challenging. Here is one of the first shots taken with my new (old) lens.



feet2

I had the camera sitting on the floor and was just clicking away. It was interesting to see the various objects that crossed in front of my lens. Like this one for example.

weeble

It was easier to focus with the camera resting on the floor. The verdict is still out on whether this was a good purchase. I am getting better at focusing, but I feel like the photos are pretty grainy. I am not sure if it is the settings I am choosing or just the lens. Regardless, I have had fun and am on my way to shooting manual all the time. As you can tell, I am doing better with objects that are not moving at supersonic speeds.

blueberry_filtered



I love the bokeh on this one. The white streaks in the upper right and corner are actually a spider web. Well, I am choosing the first one as my Best Shot Monday. There's just something about it that makes me keep looking at it over and over again.

Head on over to Tracey's for some more great shots.

18 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh yeah, I love that first one. Where is she going? What's she up to? It makes me wonder.

Andrea said...

I dig my 50mm lens. That's the only lens I own (so far) and love that the aperture goes to 1.8.

These are very nice shots! Love the perspective on the first one too.

iMother2.0 said...

I think I need to say 'ditto' to Andrea's post.

I LOVE my 50mm lens, also the only one I own.

Your shots are super fab... while I dig all of them....the first one is my fave :)

LOVE the bokeh in the third

Kara said...

My BSM has bokeh too :) Great pics, and I totally love the new blog layout!

Marie Rayner said...

I love the first one as well. They're all really good actually. You must have a wonderful camera!

Anonymous said...

beautiful pictures, all of them. the weeble is probably my favorite.

Joanna said...

I agree, the first shot is wonderful. Those little feet with her dress hanging perfectly over them is great.

Homegrown Tribe said...

i LOVE my 50mm... the more you play with it the more you'll love it. :)

brittany

Killlashandra said...

I like your idea of putting the camera on the floor and clicking away to see what interesting images care captured. Yours turned out nice. Although you have wonderful hardwood floors to capture things on too. :)

Christina said...

I love my 50mm as much as life itself! It is the best lens ever. That said, you are super commited to manually focus...I don't know if I could do it. I have a friend that has a D40 tho and therefore ha to manually focus with the 50, and she gets awesome photos with it all the time. Looks like you're well on your way, too as these rock!

Maggie said...

I have a D40, so I am in the same boat as you and have to manually focus when I use my 50mm lens. The good news is that it gets really easy once you get used to it - I almost never use my zoom lens or the kit lens now that I am used to manually focusing.

Anonymous said...

It seems hard right not because you are not used to it. Keep playing and it will become easy.

I'm a sucker for little feet shots, too. But I love the focus on the Weeble. That's a great example of what the 50 can do.

Chris said...

Those are ALL great shots, but like a lot of the others, little feet always get me. #1 is the bomb! Here from Tracey's...

mandaroo63 said...

I think they're great. I suck at manual focus (probably cause I'm 40+ and my eyes are going bad!) but I'd love to try out a 50mm f/1/8. I always love the photos I see taken with it.

Dawn said...

Congrats on the new lens! I like all of your shots but the first is my fave too.

Stacy said...

Wonderful shots! Love the bokeh in the last one. You are doing well with a challenging set of circumstances. Great job!

Rose said...

I love the first one too. My 50mm went into the Canon shop only after having it 3 weeks. The auto focus stopped working. I use the manual focus, but like Mandy, I can no longer trust my eyes! (especially with an active 3-year-old.)

Kim said...

I can't choose between the first and last... they're both great - for different reasons. Great shots!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails