Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Kids and Sewing

This weekend was spent destashing. I spent many hours sorting, cutting, and compiling piles of wool scraps. I would say I am about half way done with the wool. I don't even want to think about all the vintage sheets and pillowcases I need to sort through. I did get about 50 coffee sleeves cut out and 4 owls so I am pretty happy with the progress overall. Now I just need to decide what to do with the scraps. As of right now I have a laundry basket full of just scraps. Yikes.


Harper is becoming increasingly interested in sewing. When I sit down to sew or sort through piles of sweaters, she inevitably asks to sew something. I am glad that she is interested and I want her to learn how to sew, but it also requires quite a bit of supervision. Which ultimately means that if I say ok, she is now sewing and I am not. I am trying to embrace these moments. I know with a little patience she won't need my help any more and she will be making her own great creations.


Her first project was from this book. We used an old sock from one of my many piles. I ended up sewing some of it on the sewing machine and I let her do the stuffing and attaching of limbs. She also cut the pattern pieces out. She has since dressed the cat and I was too lazy to remove the clothing so that you get the full effect. I know you understand.


DSC_3116


Her second project was this owl. She knew exactly what she wanted. She was trying to use her scissors to cut one of my wool sweaters, which was not working out for her at all. I let her raid my eco-felt stash and it worked much better. I traced the owl pattern onto the felt for her and she cut out the pieces. I did cut the feet and eyes out for her though. She snagged the peace sign from my work in progress stash. I thought it turned out cute. She was upset that you could see the stitches. She has been sleeping with all the owls in the house every night. I think it is pretty cute that she has grown fond of owls. Guess it runs in the family.


DSC_3112



I did manage to make two more composition notebook covers for a custom order. You can find the original Zippy Art Purse Tutorial here. I recently added some of my tutorials to scribd. I am experimenting with it so let me know if you have any troubles.


DSC_3105-edited


DSC_3101-edited


DSC_3096-edited


DSC_3099-edited

I am working on the pattern and tutorial for this owl and possibly another variation too. I am hoping to have it ready to celebrate my 500th post, which is 5 posts from now.

Happy Crafty Tuesday.






8 comments:

Amy said...

I love the notebook covers...the zipper case is a perfect addition!!! I love the little purple owl too!! Thanks for sharing!!

DaShannon said...

I was just thinking about all the scraps of fabric around here and how they would make cook triangles for the banners you see everywhere right now like here
http://seemommysew.wordpress.com/birthday-banner-tutorial/

Melissa said...

That composition notebook cover is fabulous. I'll definitely be bookmarking the tute for future reference!

Christina said...

you are giving Harper such a great gift by encouraging her to sew! Awesome!

Corey~living and loving said...

how wonderful that your little is sewing. :) cute projects.

Unknown said...

totally know what you mean by a little someone wanting to help you sew...but it makes you feel so great that they want to learn how to do something that you love to do, doesn't it??

i think harper's creations are fantastic, too! and the fabric (birdies) on the first notebook cover is AWESOME. love.

Jennifer Juniper said...

Learning to sew has been a skill I've returned to over and over in my life. What a great gift!

Sachiko said...

I love the notebook covers! Thank you for linking to my party!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails