Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Reversible Messenger Bag Tutorial

DSC_4452-edited 2
Here's what you will need:
Main body -2 pieces of home dec weight fabric or corduroy measuring 14" x 12" (Fabric A)
Main body-2 pieces of contrasting home dec weight fabric measuring 14" x 12" (Fabric B)
Flap- 1 piece of Fabric A- 12" x 11.5"
Flap- 1 piece of Fabric B- 12" x 11.5"
Back Pocket- 1 piece of Fabric A- 14" x 8"
Back pocket- 1 piece of Fabric B- 14" x 8"
Small Pocket- 1 piece of Fabric B- 7" x 12"
Strap- 1 piece of Fabric A- 6" x 42"
Depending on the weight of your fabric, you may want to interface it. I interfaced all the corduroy pieces, except the strap piece.
I purchased 1 yard of each fabric and had plenty of fabric left over.
Let's get started.

Cut out all your pieces.

DSC_4329-edited
Cut a 1 inch square out of the bottom corners of all 4 pieces.
DSC_4332-edited
Interface pieces. I used a lightweight iron-on interfacing.

DSC_4336-edited
Take your strap piece and iron each side towards the middle.

DSC_4338-edited
Then fold in half and iron. Then stitch along both sides. Set aside.

DSC_4346-edited
Round the corners of the flap pieces. I used a bowl.

DSC_4341-edited


DSC_4342-edited
With right sides together sew the flap pieces together leaving the top open.

DSC_4407-edited
Clip the curves.

DSC_4408-edited
Turn right side out and iron.

DSC_4410-edited
With right sides together sew your pocket pieces across the top and bottom leaving the sides open.

DSC_4349-edited
Turn right side out and topstitch the top and bottom.

DSC_4350-edited
Place the pocket piece on one of the main fabric pieces like below.

DSC_4353-edited
As you can tell from the photo my pocket was a little short on the side so I decided to add a strip of twill tape on each side.
Stitch across the bottom of the pocket. I stitched 2 lines to add extra support.

DSC_4358-edited
I did not get a photo of the this, but take the small pocket pieces and fold in half with right sides together. Sew all the way around leaving a gap for turning. Turn right side out. Top stitch across the top of the pocket. Then sew pocket to a main body Fabric B piece like below.

DSC_4397-edited
Take your 2 main body Fabric A pieces with right sides together and sew along each side and the bottom. Do not sew the square that you cut out of each piece.
Repeat with your Fabric B pieces.

DSC_4399-edited
Take your main body pieces and box the corners and sew. See photo below.

DSC_4413-edited
Turn the Fabric A main body right side out.

DSC_4418-edited
Take your flap piece and pin it right side down on top of the side with the back pocket. Line up the raw edges. Baste flap to bag.

DSC_4424-edited
Center the straps on each side. Baste in place.

DSC_4428-edited
Take your Fabric A main body and place it inside the Fabric B main body. Rights sides will be together.

DSC_4429-edited
Make sure that the small inside pocket is facing the side with the flap.

DSC_4432-edited
Sew around the outside of the bag leaving a 3 inch gap for turning. Make sure to leave the gap is on the opposite side of the flap.

DSC_4436-edited
Turn the bag right side out through the opening.

DSC_4438-edited
Push the Fabric B part of the bag inside the Fabric A part of the bag.

DSC_4440-edited
Pin the gap shut.


DSC_4441-edited
Topstitch all the way around.

DSC_4445-edited
You are done.

DSC_4452-edited 2
Now decide which side you like the best.

DSC_4458-edited
Please let me know if you make the bag. I would love to see photos.
edited to add: I have created a flickr group, so if you make something from one of my tutorials please add it to my flickr pool.

Here are photos of the first one I made.

Reversible Owl Messenger Bag

Reversible Owl Messenger Back 2


*****November 7, 2011- Check out my updated version here.*****














43 comments:

jessie said...

Love this! saving it for later, I have some neices that would love this for christmas!

Corey~living and loving said...

ooooooo! you are awesome. Can't wait to try one. But I have to. Too much going on lately. Haven't hardly been bloggin'. sigh. Thank you for sharing this.

Stacy said...

Thanks for putting together your tutorial - it looks great! I'll put it on the master to-sew list. :)

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

I can't wait to try out this bag! Thank you for the detailed tutorial.

Sandy said...

Definitely going to make this after the holidays!

Chrissy said...

Lovely bag tutorial. I have some corduroy that I've been saving to make a bag with. I might just make one of these.

Emily @ LaForce Be With You said...

This is really neat! Love the owl pattern!

www.laforcebewithyou.com

Elizabeth said...

Love this! I have been looking for a good messenger tute for a while and I think this will be perfect! I have some corduroy too! Hope you'll come link up to Made with Love Monday at Sew Chatty next week! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

Etcetorize said...

Great bag! And super tutorial. Will put this in my 'to do' list. Thanks~

Anonymous said...

From a fellow Tennessean (West).... Keep up the good work! I'm bookmarking your blog for an "idea" resource for when my craft room is finished and I can throw myself into my crafting. I especially LOVE recycle and upcycle crafts so keep the ideas coming.

sarah said...

Just finished! I used some really bright polar fleece which ended up a little thick in a couple of places but should be durable and washable! Thanks a lot for the post!

Bethany said...

I have the same dishes!!!! And also, I love this tutorial! Totally going to try it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for it!! :-) Really nice and useful and lots of good pictures!! :-)

karin said...

This is exactly what i have been looking for!

Calamity Colleen said...

My sister has been bugging me for a messenger bag, but I haven't been able to find a pattern. This is awesome.

floridatjej said...

very nice, thanks for the instructions...........

Miranda Jansen said...

A BIG thank you from Holland! I was searching for a good pattern to make a bag and this one is so nice, and with your great tutorial easy to make! I will share a photo later on, once again.. thank you!

Elizabeth said...

I had been looking for a messenger bag for some time that was just the right size and was so excited when I found this tutorial. It worked out great and it is now my new favorite bag! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Dena said...

I love how easy it is. What seam allowance did you use?

dorria embroidery design said...

fantastic ideas and lovely bag ..... I will try it ... thanks alot

Anonymous said...

I love this bag! I made two for my boys' to carry their piano books to piano lessons. I made a small adjustment in the width to accomadate all their books. Your instructions were so detailed and easy to follow and the bags look so professional! Thank you for sharing this project!

Anonymous said...

thanks for postining this, like the bag. love your directions! wish the patterns i try to follow were as well written!

Nerium said...

This is a fantastic tutorial! I bought a pattern from Fabricland ($15) to make myself a purse, but I wasn't that crazy about how it turned out--it was way too small for what I wanted, kinda flimsy and I didn't really like the design. Then...I came across your blog via Pinterest. The first bag I made was brown linen on one side and a earth tone stripe cotton on the other. I followed your directions exactly just to get the hang of it and it turned out great. I made a second bag last night, in solid black linen/rayon, and I made a few slight alterations on this one. I took a sturdy black nylon, adjustable strap that has metal clips on each end from another purse that I don't use anymore. Instead of sewing in a full strap, I sewed in a tab holding a D-ring on each side to attach the strap. I also made the inside pocket a few inches bigger and then sewed a seam down the middle of both pockets to give me more organization. This also turned out better than I expected! I'm about to try my hand at making the whole bag bigger for my gym stuff and I'll probably end up making one in every size and colour of the rainbow. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this tutorial! -JD

Fuzzyfoxtess said...

Thank you for the lovely and well written tutorial. My bag turned out better than I could have hoped. I have added a few pictures of it to your Flickr pool.

iPad Mini Smart Case said...

It looks amazing. I so love it! <3<3

Nane said...

hi, My name is Nadine and I come from Germany. I find the bag really great and would postsew her with pleasure. If you can say me in which you have given the longitudinal dimensions of the bag? I must convert this probably first, because I need in metre or centimetre. I hope you know what I mean? My English is not the best! Many Greetings from Germany.
Nadine

Anonymous said...

Hello, I made this bag and I have a back pocket which is not covered by the flap. is this right?

Laura Jennings said...

I have just made this bag and I love it!! Thank you for such an easy to follow tutorial. I will definitely be making some more as gifts for friends and family and look forward to adding my own style to the bag on my next one!

Sara said...

What are the finished dimensions of the bag? I'm trying to find one that I can carry EMR supplies in, but not be too bulky.

Unknown said...

Mine came out beautiful but for one thing. The handles were too thick for my sewing machine to go through, and I had to find an alternative way to attach them. It was my fault because I used black suede as my main fabric. The second fabric is a contrasting bright anime print. I have to say, for my first sewing project, it looks quite fetching!!! Everyone is impressed with me.

Unknown said...

I just made the bag and itãs awesome!!!! Thank you very much!!!

Mallory said...

After you place the two main body pieces inside each other, where does the strap go? Does it stick outside the bag or does it go in with the other body pieces? After I sew around the top of the bag and turn it inside out, the straps are inside the lining. Everything else is fine but the strap.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for your free messenger bag tutorial! I used it in a sewing class for homeschoolers. The bags turned out great!

Unknown said...

7.14lllllyuan"coach outlet"
"ferragamo shoes sale"
"swarovski crystal"
"ray-ban sunglasses"
"coach outlet online"
"nike free running"
"oakley sunglasses"
"nike roshe run shoes"
"true religion sale"
"longchamp outlet online"
"longchamp solde"
"michael kors uk outlet"
"lebron james shoes"
"michael kors outlet"
"versace sunglasses"
"coach outlet store"
"coach outlet"
"kobe bryant shoes"
"tiffany outlet"
"cheap nhl jerseys"
"true religion uk"
"ralph lauren uk"
"beats by dr dre"
"adidas wings shoes"
"lululemon outlet"
"mont blanc pens"
"mizuno shoes"
"abercrombie outlet"
"mulberry sale"
"calvin klein outlet"
"pandora jewelry"
"cheap michael kors handbags"
"michael kors handbags wholesale"
"ray ban sunglasses"
"mulberry handbags sale"
7.14

Amasto said...

Hi there! Just wanted to echo everyone else in saying that this turned out great! I accidentally bought a laptop that was too big to fit in any of my current bags-and ones online seemed either flimsy or way too expensive. I used upholstery fabric for this, and it cost me less than $10! I definitely plan to make more!

Unknown said...

www.sentrabesibaja.com
Pabrik Bondek Cor
Pabrik Atap Spandek
harga besi beton
link3

Unknown said...

canada goose outlet
mulberry bags
oakley sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
ralph lauren polo
michael kors outlet
ray ban sunglasses
tory burch outlet
longchamp pas cher
ralph lauren polo
20171216caihuali

Unknown said...

How do you do it all?!? You are amazing, I love this glimpse into your craftiness. I like the flower one :)

Zia
Have you seen Dallas Corporate DJ

Unknown said...

jordan retro
lacoste outlet
nike foamposite
louboutin shoes uk
adidas tubular
gucci belt
polo ralph lauren
yeezy 700
longchamp handbags
adidas nmd

zzyytt said...

adidas pure boost
yeezy boost
ferragamo sale
nike outlet
fila shoes
adidas iniki
nike air max 2019
adidas stan smith uk
jordan retro
yeezy sneakers

zzyytt said...

tory burch
kd shoes
hermes outlet online
jordan 11
golden goose outlet
michael kors handbags
lebron shoes
cheap mlb jerseys
westbrook shoes
adidas nmd

حاتم النجار said...

شركة تنظيف منازل بالخبر

شركه الوفاء said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالاحساء




شركة عزل اسطح وخزانات بالإحساء




شركة تسليك المجاري بالخبر



شركة عزل خزانات بالقطيف




شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails