Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fat Quarter Quilt- Part 2

I did it. I finally finished Harper's quilt. Woohoo. This is by far the biggest project I have tackled to date. I really think that I spent way more time thinking about what I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it than I did actually sewing.


It was a cold, dreary weekend so I had several uninterrupted hours on Saturday morning to knock it out. I can't tell you how happy I am to have this finished. It is far from perfect, but I am still proud of it.


I took photos so that I could share the process with you.

DSC_0542


I decided to just stitch in the ditch, so it doesn't have a very quilted look to it. I was too afraid to do much more than this, maybe next time.



DSC_0500



Then I trimmed the excess material.

DSC_0502

DSC_0506


Here it is all trimmed and ready for the binding.

DSC_0508


I used the leftover fat quarters and scraps from the quilt to make my binding. I determined that 10 22 inch strips and 10 18 inch strips would make the binding long enough with some excess to work with. I made the strips 2.25 inches wide. If I had it to do over again I would do 2.5 inches though.

DSC_0511


I sewed the strips together alternating 18 inch and 22 inch pieces. I also tried to distribute the colors evenly. Then I laid it out on the quilt to make sure it fit all the way around and also to get an idea of where to start attaching it.

DSC_0513


Then I ironed the seams open.

DSC_0517


Then ironed it in half.

DSC_0519



Here is my lovely pile of binding.

DSC_0523


I decided to attach the binding to the back and then bring it around to the front and topstitch it. I just could not imagine hand stitching the binding on and I knew that I would be able to make the topstitching neater on the front.


So I lined up the raw edges and stitched the binding on all the way around mitering at the corners.

DSC_0525



Then I flipped the quilt over and brought the folded edge to the front and topstiched all the way around again.



DSC_0526

DSC_0529


Ta-da. All finished. I know I broke about every quilting rule, but I am ok with that.

DSC_0539

DSC_0540

DSC_0542


I used some of my scraps to make this pillow to match the quilt. I almost used every bit of the fabric. Gotta love that!!



DSC_0546




In case you missed it, here is Fat Quarter Quilt Part 1.























27 comments:

Jennifer Juniper said...

I love all the funky colors fat quarters come in! This would make a pretty quick quilt, I'll have to try it :)

Unknown said...

THis is just beautiful!! I love the patterns you chose!!

Stacy said...

Great job on it! The quilting looks good and I don't blame you for going easy on the first time. I would, too! It's so pretty. :)

Kimberly said...

I LOVE THE QUILT!!! Great job. I know Harper must love her new bedding.

Quilted Cupcake said...

Who cares if you broke rules? I say, throw out the rulebook if you can create beautiful things like this. So lovely!

April@MySacredSojourn said...

I LOVE the colors and patterns you chose to use...so beautiful!! I've never made a quilt, but you might have talked me into it! :)

Corey~living and loving said...

This turned out lovely. :) I bet Harper loves it.

Maggie said...

Oh my goodness, that looks absolutely FABULOUS! Not that I had any doubt that it would, but wow -- I am even more impressed that this was your first attempt!

Unknown said...

Um...what rules?? :-) Jen! It is beautiful! I love the binding and that fabric is just TO DIE FOR! It really turned out great! Well done.

Bugglesnug said...

Holy...you just made the binding look so simple. It's something I've struggled with and now I want to rush home and try to do it! Thanks!!!

Jaya P said...

heh. you followed all the rules , in fact. the rules are: Piece. Quilt. Bind. you did all of them. I love that you did not go through the cut-it-into -pieces-and-stitch them -back-together thing that most "quilters" do.

and if i had that quilt, i would have done parallel straight lines, about 4 inches apart. so it would have a quilted look, but not too difficult. (knowing me, it wont be parallel, nor uniformly 4 inches, but thats the joy of handmade!)

wonderful look for the bed. good job!

Krissy said...

What a genius way to do a first full sized quilt. Love it!

Unknown said...

Breaking the quilting rules is how I roll! I love it :D

harleywife57/ Mickey White said...

I love how this turned out ! I am really not into sewing small pieces together and then have them not line up , and I have not mastered quilting yet either ; and oh , I do my binding all on the machine as you did ! so I am a break the rules quilter also !
thanks for the lovely colorful quilt to look at today ; it's dark and raining ! :D

Anonymous said...

Love this! What size bed and how many squares did it take? Thankx for sharing. It's really quite lovely ... and the pillow is like icing on the cake!

Jackie said...

This looks like a fun project. I will have to give it a try. Your quilt turned out so cheery and bright. Love it!

Elisana said...

wow, it looks so pretty!
I understand your breaking the rules! I never quilted before and am scared to try it, because it seems like it is so much work, until I started making doll clothes for my daughter and yesterday I made her a sleeping bag with fabric that's already in patches (sorry I don't know how it's called) and I only stitched in the ditch to attach it to the fleece that I had on the inside. It got me itching to quilt now.... so I guess real quilters should acquit us because breaking the rules actually meant we took the chance to do it... it may be the beggining of something big and scrappy for me...

came to your blog for doll stuff, i'm happy i found it.

Diane said...

Did you have to sew all the squares together before putting the front and back together?

Thank you,
Diane

Diane said...

Did you have to sew all the squares together before putting the front and back together?

Thank you,
Diane

betsy green said...

Is this a queen sized bed? How many fat quarters did u use? Thx!!!

mcjule52 said...

I just started quilting, and I absolutely love this one!!! I'm adding it to my ever-growing list of sewing projects! I've been sewing for 30 years, and I say, there are no "rules"! Just do what works for you! It's what makes it special! Again, I just love this quilt! Especially the way you did the binding!

Unknown said...

I found this on Pinterest and love it! I want to make a quick patchwork for my bed and never though of using such big pieces. Love your colors!

Cara said...

I love when I am looking for a project online and I end up on your blog. Hope you and your family are well!

xjd7410@gmail.com said...

20160120 junda
longchamp outlet
toms outlet store
louis vuitton
canada goose outlet
ugg outlet
michael kors bags
ed hardy uk
coach factory outlet
michael kors outlet
cheap jordans
nike tn
coach factory outlet
nike trainers
canada goose jackets
coach outlet
nike cortez
fitflops clearance
michael kors handbags
ray ban sunglasses
true religion jeans
burberry outlet
cheap toms
christian louboutin shoes
kate spade handbags
ugg boots
louboutin
canada goose uk
kate spade outlet
michael kors outlet uk
michael kors
coach outlet
mcm outlet
adidas originals
coach factory outlet
ray bans
mulberry bags
nike sb
prada outlet
michael kors outlet online
michael kors outlet

شركة فارس الخليج said...

شركة عالم الابداع(0556754275)شركة متخصصة و رائدة تتنوع خدماتها المميزة والتى تلائم جميع احتياجات عملائنا الكرام و تناسب كافة متطلباتكم و تعمل على تقديم خدمات شاملة متميزة بعروض مبهرة وكفاءة عالية لا مثيل لها فى كافة الخدمات فمن يريد نوفير الوقت و الجهد فشركتنا تقدم خدمات متنوعة وستجد كل مطالبك عندنا فتواصلوا معنا .
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالخفجى
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالدمام
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالدمام
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالدمام
شركة تنسيق حدائق بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالدمام
شركة تسليك مجارى بالدمام

Unknown said...

yeezy 500
air max 2019
fila
nike react
adidas stan smith shoes
fila shoes
golden goose sneakers
vans shoes
cheap nba jerseys
chrome hearts online

zzyytt said...

golden goose outlet
adidas stan smith sneakers
retro jordans
jordan retro
kobe 9
timberland outlet
kyrie irving shoes
longchamp
yeezy
michael kors

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails