Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

Messenger Bag with iPad Pocket

DSC_1963

 I really needed a new bag.  So I decided to follow my Messenger Bag tutorial and make a few modifications to meet my current needs.  I have been toting my iPad around with me more and more, so I really wanted to have a pocket to store it in.  I knew I wanted a flap with some sort of closure so that it would be protected and not fall out.  

Here are the modifications that I made:
back pocket pieces are 14"x 9"
DSC_1878

back pocket top flap pieces are 14" x 5"
round the edges the same way you do the flap pieces
you will assemble the pocket flap piece the same way as the main flap pieces

DSC_1874

interface the lining pieces with fusible fleece high loft, also interface one side of the back pocket pieces

DSC_1942

interface one side of the flap piece with lightweight interfacing
I did not interface the strap or inside pocket

DSC_1943

This is what my back main body piece looked like with the pocket and flap all assembled.  I decided to use a velcro closure to make sure everything was secure.  I added the velcro to the flap piece and the pocket piece before basting them to the main body piece.

DSC_1946

DSC_1948

DSC_1950

I decided to do a little hand embroidery on the front flap piece to bring in some of the yellow from the lining. 

DSC_1938

DSC_1936

Here's some photos of the finished product.

DSC_1971

The iPad all nice and snug.

DSC_1973

DSC_1975

I like that you can't even tell it's in there.

DSC_1969

I also added a loop of fabric to clip my keys to so that they don't get lost in the bottom of my purse.  I have been sticking my phone in the pocket.

DSC_1967

DSC_1961

I am so in love with my new purse.  I would highly recommend interfacing your bag if you decide to make one.  It adds so much more structure to the bag.  

This version of the bag isn't made to be reversible.

Find the Reversible Messenger Bag tutorial here.

Don't forget to add a photo to my flickr pool if you decide to make one.

 

 



 

  Photobucket

17 comments:

Stacy said...

Great job! I love the colors you chose for it. It looks very nice and practical. I need to make a new bag, too. I tend to use my bags until they wear out and get all dirty. I'm there right now with the one I made this spring. I agree on the interfacing, too. It really gives it some structure.

Unknown said...

YEah, I need to make a new one as well...and I LOVE that gray fabric. I have a really nice gray that I bought on vacation over the summer...I think it would make a nice little bag - and I love the iPad functionality, too. Beautiful.

Jordan McCollum said...

Nice! I bet the pocket would work for a Kindle as well.

Happy in red said...

This is a great tutorial, thanx!

Anonymous said...

May I ask where you purchased your fabric? I love them both!
Jen

Jen said...

I bought the fabric from Fabric.com. It is by Premier Prints.

ruby said...

Hi, I love the ipad pocket & would love to make this bag this week. Do you just make the reversable bag first according to original directions and add on the back piece?
thanks in advance!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for this tutorial!! I just made a bag for my laptop, so I didn't add the pocket, and it looks so cute! I used grey corduroy and blue chevron fabric. Thanks!

canukpam said...

Great bag - I have made a few now, my two granddaughters love both the panda bag, and also the giraffe bag - now they can take their ipad mini's with them everywhere and no one knows they have them. Thanks for the instructions

Jo said...

I made your reversible messenger bag a couple of years ago and it's still going strong! I don't know how to add a photo of it though. X

Unknown said...

7.14lllllyuan"coach outlet"
"ferragamo shoes sale"
"swarovski crystal"
"ray-ban sunglasses"
"coach outlet online"
"nike free running"
"oakley sunglasses"
"nike roshe run shoes"
"true religion sale"
"longchamp outlet online"
"longchamp solde"
"michael kors uk outlet"
"lebron james shoes"
"michael kors outlet"
"versace sunglasses"
"coach outlet store"
"coach outlet"
"kobe bryant shoes"
"tiffany outlet"
"cheap nhl jerseys"
"true religion uk"
"ralph lauren uk"
"beats by dr dre"
"adidas wings shoes"
"lululemon outlet"
"mont blanc pens"
"mizuno shoes"
"abercrombie outlet"
"mulberry sale"
"calvin klein outlet"
"pandora jewelry"
"cheap michael kors handbags"
"michael kors handbags wholesale"
"ray ban sunglasses"
"mulberry handbags sale"
7.14

Laxmi Rai said...

Nice post. I am happy to visit your blog. Thanks for sharing.

non woven bag making machine price in india

Unknown said...

zzzzz2018.6.27
pandora charms
pandora
pandora
longchamp outlet
fitflops
kate spade
coach factory outlet
canada goose jackets
golden goose
mulberry uk

Unknown said...

lebron 10
adidas shoes
fila
nike shox
vapor max
adidas outlet
louboutin shoes
golden goose
hermes belt
off white

zzyytt said...

yeezy boost 350 v2
moncler jackets
longchamp bags
adidas yeezy
yeezy wave runner 700
nike hyperdunk
lacoste polo shirts
bape hoodie
ferragamo belt
asics gel kayano

zzyytt said...

kd shoes
cheap jordans
yeezy boost 350 v2
cheap jordans
nhl jerseys
michael kors outlet
nfl jerseys
nike huarache
100% real jordans for cheap
chrome hearts online

zzyytt said...

adidas yeezy boost
supreme hoodie
adidas ultra boost
yeezy 500
balenciaga shoes
ferragamo belt
yeezy boost 350
valentino
mlb jerseys
yeezy shoes

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails