Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Feeling Clean and Green

DSC_0448-edited_filtered


Recently I stumbled across the book Clean. It's a cleansing or "detox" program that is designed to rid your body of toxins. I have always be intrigued by these cleansing programs, but have never done much research into them. This program seemed different. It made more sense to me. So I ordered the book. Once I read the book cover to cover, I was convinced that I wanted to give it a go.

On Saturday I started the elimination portion of program. He includes menus in the book as well as a list of foods that you can and can not eat. You can not have wheat, red meat, dairy, sugar, caffeine (there are a couple of teas that you can have), or alcohol. You can not eat anything with preservatives, additives, nitrates, or artificial anything. Basically, you eat fresh organic fruits , vegetables, lean meats, fish, beans, and grains like brown rice or quinoa. There are also supplements that he recommends.

You do the elimination program for a week and then you do the cleansing program for 3 weeks. Going into it I knew that I did want to do the full program. My goal was to complete the elimination part. Doing the cleansing for 3 weeks is not realistic right now. It is a lot of work as far as the preparation goes, but I do know that there are certain things that I am going to change about my diet now which will help me to continue to be Clean.

Since I have been so conscious of the food I am putting into my body, it has made me more aware of other toxins that you normally don't think about. It has reaffirmed that there is a good reason why I choose certain sunscreens or lotions. There is a reason I want to eat organic and locally grown food. I buy hot dogs for the kids that don't contain nitrates for a very good reason. Sometimes it is hard to remember why we do these things. Now don't get me wrong. We are not perfect, but I know we are on the right path.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll have to check the book out - it looks good. It is hard sometimes to be so vigilant, but then when you think of what the toxins that are potentially in almost everything around us, it makes it much easier to remember. Thankfully it is getting easier to find healthier choices!

Jaimee said...

where do you find hot dogs without nitrates??? is there a specific brand? i hate nitrates & try to keep them to a minimum, but the kids love hot dogs, so i'd love to be able to give them to them more often...

Cara said...

Sound like a good plan. I know what you mean by "there's a good reason". My husband doesn't understand why I only allow our boys to drink organic milk and all I say is "there's a good reason" like antibiotic and hormones.

La Mama Naturale' said...

Don't ya hate that we have to worry about all the toxins. Sheesh! Was wondering if you'd share your nori roll recipes- picked some up at the health food store and thought of you ;)

Stacy said...

That sounds like a great plan and good for you! I have been more concious this year about what I buy and what goes into our bodies. At least I'm trying right?? ;)

Dawn said...

Awesome! I have been wanting to do something similar. Both my hubbie and I did a cleanse two years ago (we cut refined sugar, processed food, dairy and bread...then slowly added whole grains back in and dairy. It was hell the first couple of days but we felt really good after that...:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails