Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Teaching Kids to Sew

Last week I was in charge of leading Harper's Daisy Scout Troop in a sewing project using recycled materials. We wanted to show the girls how to be resourceful as well as practicing some hand sewing. I don't have any photos of the girls in action because I was running around crazy, but the project was super simple.

I pre-cut pieces of felted wool sweaters. I had each girl choose a small piece and a large piece.

DSC_0108
Then I had them place the pieces wrong sides facing.

DSC_0107
Then they whip stitched around the edges. Sewed on a button and cut a little buttonhole on the flap. I have a whole stash of buttons so the girls had fun picking out buttons.

DSC_0109
I had Harper do a practice one for me to make sure the project wouldn't take too long. Then she did another one during her meeting. All of the girls were proud of their little wallets. As a reward I gave them some chocolate coins to put in their wallets.

DSC_0111
I was very relieved when the project was finished. I really had no idea how it would all pan out, but I am calling it a success.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

That looks like it would be a great project for the girls - well done!

Corey~living and loving said...

super cute! I totally know that the girls loved it. who wouldn't? :)

Unknown said...

Perfect! And when they are Brownies they can actually earn a TryIt - the Stitch It Up one. The girls just learned to hand sew some stuff and we did buttons last week, too. It is funny how excited they get about sewing - it makes my heart happy that is for sure!

I love (as always) that you also helped them with the re-using aspect which is so important in GS too! Well done, Mama!

Kimberly said...

what a fun project! hopefully it will get the girls excited about sewing and want to learn more.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails