Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Meal Planning Success

DSC_2752
Since food photography does not seem to be my strong suit, you get a cute kid photo instead.

 I am still going strong with my meal planning.  Since I have been planning ahead, we have tried some really yummy recipes instead of relying on all of our normal stand-bys.  I thought I would share some of the recipes that we have enjoyed plus some tips for how I have been meal planning.

I am by no means an expert in this subject, but I thought it might be helpful to share how I go about planning our meals for the week. 
1.  If I come across a recipe on a blog or pinterest, etc., I go ahead and print it out and set it aside.
2.  On Thursday or Friday I look at the recipes I have collected and decide which ones I want to make.  Then I fill in the gaps with any meals I have been craving or think that the kids would actually eat.
3.  I plan for 4 dinners.  This leaves leftovers for one night during the week.  We usually eat out on Friday and Saturday night.
4.  I list a few snack ideas for school and after school.
5.  I have been trying to make one batch of soup each week for an easy lunch. I try to make this on Sunday.
6.  I have also been making a healthy-ish treat to have on hand for the kids.  The kids feel like they are getting something special and I don't feel guilty about giving it to them.  I also try to make this on Saturday or Sunday.
7.  I plan for easier meals on the days I know we have an activity like Tae Kwon Do.  If possible I go ahead and make an extra meal on a night I am not as busy, so we can just grab and go or warm it up and eat.
8.  Once I have my plan, I make a grocery list. 

I will admit that this is a ton of work, but so far it has been so worth it.  It is so nice to come home from work and not think about what I am going to make. 

Here are some of our favorite recipes from the last few weeks:

Orange Slow Cooker Chicken- Mitch added hot sauce to it to off set the sweetness.  The kids ate it so I am calling it a success.
Nut Butter Brownies- not necessarily healthy, but definitely yummy
White Bean and Kale Stew from The Vegan Slow Cooker
Totally Addictive Cornbread- Yummy and gluten free and dairy free
Spicy Lentil Collard Wraps- I used brown rice instead of bulgar wheat because it is what I had on hand.
Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats- We all love these oats.  I have made 2 batches now.  I was skeptical about cold oats, but let me tell you these are REALLY good.  The batch lasts for a few days, so you can have breakfast for several mornings.

I am sure there are more, but these are the ones that are standing out. 

2 comments:

Run Lori Run said...

We 've made that white bean and kale stew too and added Feld Roast brand fake sausage. It was great!

julee said...

My goodness, I can't believe your kids eat this kind of food. My husband like hotdogs and cereal for dinner! haha

They all look good!
Julie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails