Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The First and Hopefully Last Bike Accident

Harper had her first very bad bike accident last night. It was one of those moments that seemed to be moving in slow motion, but it really happened so fast. I felt like I should have reacted differently or sooner or something. She was obviously not feeling really comfortable riding, yet she started down this hill anyways. I wanted to stop her and should have stopped her, but I didn't.

If she had just put on her brakes or if she had just glided down the hill, she would have been fine. The problem was she couldn't decide what to do and ultimately crashed. I watched the whole thing and it was horrible. I was too far away to know for sure, but it looked like her face smashed the street. She was screaming instantly. Mitch ran to her. He grabbed her and the bike and started back up the hill. All I could say was, "did she hit her face?" He said very seriously, "yes, she hit her face." I couldn't see her because she was faced the other way, but I could see Mitch's face and knew it was bad. As he passed me, I saw her and there was blood every where. We hurried home to further access the situation. She was still screaming. Mitch took her to the bathroom while I grabbed some ice. After we got her calmed down and Mitch took a good look at her mouth, he decided she needed to go to the ER. My gut was telling me she should go so I was glad that he felt the same way.

I stayed home with Miller and Mitch took her to the ER. It's a good thing I have a calm and collected husband. I truly don' t know what I would do without him.

DSC_0471-edited_filtered

I took this photo this morning. She kept ice on it the whole time she was the hospital so the swelling had gone done considerably by the time they made it back. As you can tell, she was not really excited about me taking a picture of her big, fat lip.

This is the worst injury that I have had to deal with so far as a parent. You feel so helpless, so much guilt, and so much pain. You wish that you could trade places. You wish that you could rewind time. It makes you realize how easy it is for something to go really wrong. You replay the scene in your mind over and over again. You want to just hold them in your arms and comfort them forever.

I know at the end of the day this was pretty minor. She escaped with no stitches and all her teeth intact. She is sore and swollen, but she is okay. I hope her confidence isn't shattered by this accident. She told Mitch that she wasn't riding her bike again until she was sixteen. To be honest at this very moment, I am ok with that.

9 comments:

Kimberly said...

Poor Harper! My heart is breaking for her (and her parents) pain. Thankfully it wasn't anything more serious. I'll be praying that her confidence isn't shattered and that her lip heals quickly. In the meantime, maybe some extra popcicles would ease some of the pain. At the very least the sweetness of them should distract her from it.

Melissa G said...

Bless her heart, I'm so very sorry she got hurt and that you all had to go through so much scariness. I hope her lip and her confidence heal quickly.

Milk and Honey Mommy said...

Oh Jen,

I'm so sorry for Harper and also for you mommy. We can't protect them from everything regardless of how much we want to. I've felt that sense of helplessness and it was during experiences more minor than Harper's injury. I'm not sure what I'll do when something really serious happens.

Thank God I have a husband who too is more calm and collected about these type of things. He has a way of making the crazy/freaking out me leave and the more calm me (the best I can) come out.

I know it won't be when she's 16, but times like this, I totally agree w/you; "Why not wait until you're 30 honey?" :)

I hope for a speedy recovery...until the next something happens.

Unknown said...

16 would be perfectly acceptable - I agree. I hate that helpless feeling, and just the knowing that you can't protect them from everything. What an ordeal - I hope you are all recovering and feeling ok today.

Amy Jo said...

So sad! I remember my first bad accident. I hope she recovers quickly.

Cara said...

Oh Jen, how scary. I know how you feel. The first (so far) time Francesco needed stitches in his chin I so wanted to trade places with him.
She will heal and she will get back on the bike.

Christina said...

This story gave me flashbacks to when my little brother had a very similar bike crash just days after learning to ride a big boy bike! Oh my it was awful. But he was okay - and thank God so is Harper, and you and she are on the other side of this childhood rite of passage! Yikes, poor girl!

Kimberly said...

How is Haper doing now? Feeling any better?

Run Lori Run said...

What a scary story, glad all she got out of it was a fat lip!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails