Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

T-shirt Headband Tutorial

I have a slight obsession with fabric headbands. My hair is fine, thick, and wavy, which most of the time equals unruly. I have found that throwing on a headband is the easiest way to control my crazy hair.

I made this headband last November and it quickly became my favorite headband. It's comfy, goes with lots of outfits, and the flowers add a little interest.

DSC_0499-edited


So I thought it was time to make a few new ones. I used the same t-shirt as before. It is a super soft Gap shirt that I found at the thrift store. I bought it to actually wear, but it was too small. I have been holding on to the remnants for the perfect project. I made 3 different versions for my various needs.


DSC_3728-edited

The first is a thinner headband to be used when my hair is not quite as unruly.

I started with a strip of t-shirt that is about 2.5 inches x 14 inches.

DSC_3661-edited

DSC_3662-edited

Then I cut down the middle of the piece with my rotary cutter. Do not cut all the way to the end. Leave 3 inches or so uncut on each end.


DSC_3665-edited

Make another cut just like the first one.

DSC_3666-edited

Then another cut below.


DSC_3668-edited

When you stretch the headband, the strips will curl up. You may have to turn your piece over depending on which side was up when you started cutting.


DSC_3671-edited

Next take one end and fold the sides in like so.


DSC_3685-edited

Then fold over again.


DSC_3686-edited

Sandwich the elastic in between the folds.


DSC_3688-edited

Zig zag the elastic in place. Then repeat with the other side.

My piece of elastic is 5 inches long. I would recommend sewing one end then trying it on to see how tight you want it. The elastic does stretch over time so I would go tighter rather than looser.

DSC_3690-edited

I tried to photograph myself with the headband on and was not successful so I had to call in a model. Here you can see the headband scrunched together or pulled apart.

headband
I also have a favorite headband that I wear when I work out. Since it gets all sweaty and has to be washed frequently, I needed to have a back up. The one I have is store bought, but I knew that I could easily duplicate it.

I started with a larger piece of t-shirt. This one is extra wide to tame very unruly hair.

I used the hem of the t-shirt as the front of my headband. This piece is 4" x 14.5".

DSC_3660-edited

All you do is fold the end accordion style like so.

DSC_3677

DSC_3676

The hem will be on the top. It won't seem right, but trust me.

DSC_3678

Sandwich the elastic between the folds.

DSC_3680-edited

DSC_3682

Then zig zag and repeat on the other side.

DSC_3691-edited


DSC_3732-edited

DSC_3733-edited


The third one that I made was a hybrid of the two previous headbands. I cut it into strips, but I used a wider piece of fabric.

DSC_3729-edited

The options are endless.







16 comments:

Stacy said...

Thanks for the tutorial! Those look really comfy. I need to make some for Anya, since her hair is definitely on the unruly side, too. I should make one for working out, too, to get my bangs out of the way.

Christina said...

So fun and clever!! I like headbands...on anyone but me. :oP

My Little Cupcake said...

My hair is the same way! Thanks for posting this. I will have to try it soon :)
mylittlecupcake22.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

yes! on my list it goes....

Anonymous said...

this is so cute! I definitely want to do this! I wanted to let you know about a linky party/tutorial post I have started. It is called Handmade Tuesdays and I feature a tutorial from a crafter and then I have a linky where people can link up their projects. Please come link up every Tuesday! :)

jami jensen said...

so cute! I might have to try these!
I LOVE wearing scarves and headbands!

Kimberly said...

I have a brown headband that I bought that is similar to these. I SO need to learn how to sew! Maybe 2011 will be the year I learn.

Mindy said...

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing.

http://im-in-the-loop.blogspot.com

Anne K. said...

Oh, good heavens! These could not possibly be any more adorable! Thanks so much for sharing such a fantastic idea!!!!

Run Lori Run said...

Thank you for another useful tutorial. Beanie loves headbands too so maybe I can whip one up this weekend. Maybe... :)

hair accessories said...

Those headbands are simply adorable. Such a great way to recycle old T-shirts! You always have such great ideas! Good job! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I have been hacking away at 1 yd of jersey fabric for weeks! I've come up with 3 versions of 1 headband and can't find a comfortable/cute way to stick the elastic. THANK YOU for showing me this!! I now have figured out how I can tailor my ends to fit the elastic and still keep the gathering effect i was going for :)

Unknown said...

15.07.21daigege
pandora outlet
michael kors
mont blanc pens
chanel handbags
nike air max
soccer jerseys wholesale
air force 1
oakley sunglasses sale
sac longchamp
ray bans
soccer jerseys
gucci uk
ralph lauren
gucci outlet online
kate spade
kate spade outlet online
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton pas cher
jordan shoes
sac longchamp
coach outlet online
michael kors
oakley sunglasses
hollister clothing store
replica watches
louboutin
louboutin pas cher
michael kors
ralph lauren outlet
kate spade handbags
coach factory outlet
christian louboutin
ed hardy
nike air force
cheap ray ban sunglasses
cheap soccer shoes
christian louboutin outlet
ray ban outlet
abercrombie outlet

Unknown said...

7.14lllllyuan"coach outlet"
"ferragamo shoes sale"
"swarovski crystal"
"ray-ban sunglasses"
"coach outlet online"
"nike free running"
"oakley sunglasses"
"nike roshe run shoes"
"true religion sale"
"longchamp outlet online"
"longchamp solde"
"michael kors uk outlet"
"lebron james shoes"
"michael kors outlet"
"versace sunglasses"
"coach outlet store"
"coach outlet"
"kobe bryant shoes"
"tiffany outlet"
"cheap nhl jerseys"
"true religion uk"
"ralph lauren uk"
"beats by dr dre"
"adidas wings shoes"
"lululemon outlet"
"mont blanc pens"
"mizuno shoes"
"abercrombie outlet"
"mulberry sale"
"calvin klein outlet"
"pandora jewelry"
"cheap michael kors handbags"
"michael kors handbags wholesale"
"ray ban sunglasses"
"mulberry handbags sale"
7.14

zzyytt said...

huarache shoes
vans store
lacoste outlet
hermes belt
adidas yeezy
lebron 16
balenciaga speed
kyrie irving shoes
coach outlet store
supreme clothing

zzyytt said...

michael kors outlet
harden shoes
moncler jackets
adidas ultra
jordan shoes
michael kors outlet online
adidas nmd r1
tory burch sandals
nike react
air max 90

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails