Pages

Friday, October 9, 2009

Butternut Squash Muffins

Winter squash season has begun so I have been trying to come up with new recipes to use up all the squash we have been getting from our CSA. I made butternut squash muffins last night based on a recipe from allrecipes. Of course I had to tweak it to make it a bit healthier. Here's my version.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup pureed butternut squash (I roasted a butternut squash earlier in the week when I was cooking something else in the oven. I cut it in half and placed it cut side down on a cookie sheet and baked in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. I let it cool. Then I pureed it in my food processor.)
1 1/4 cup organic pastry flour (This is a whole grain flour that is softer and fluffier than whole wheat. I always use it when I am baking.)
1/4 cup wheat gern
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup sucanat (you an read more about this sweetner here.)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup almond milk
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)


DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sucanat, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix together milk, egg and butter. Stir in squash. Fold the squash mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Add chocolate chips if you are using.
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling cups about 3/4 full. Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from muffin pan and cool on a wire rack.

The muffins were very moist. The kids gobbled them up so I am calling it a success.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

These sound d'lish!! I love using pastry flour too...I'm excited to try these!

Have a great weekend :)

Cara said...

I agree these sound fabulous. My boys love muffins, I will have to give it try.

Stacy said...

Those look yummy!

Stacy said...

I should say those "sound" yummy. I guess I can see them in my mind's eye. ;)

Jaimee said...

I wish I'd seen this before I wasted my butternut squash on a terrible butternut squash soup the other day!!! I will have to try!

qqq said...

michael kors
longchamp uk
adidas yeezy
birkenstocks
moncler jackets
nike air max 90
clarks outlet
coach outlet
coach outlet store
giuseppe zanotti sneakers
170728yueqin

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails