Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Harper's Birthday Party

We survived the second round of birthday parties. Even though we kept it pretty low key with just family, it still felt like a lot of work. I am glad that the birthday's are behind us. Is that bad?

For Harper's party I made two different kinds of cupcakes, which seemed to come out ok. Until I tried making the frosting. Something went terribly wrong. I kept adding sugar to make it thicker and then tried adding more butter. Needless to say it was a failure. So I scrapped it and decided to make the whipped cream frosting from this recipe. I have made it a couple of times so I knew that it would turn out. I whipped the cream then my husband took over because I was becoming increasingly frustrated. Have I mentioned baking is not my forte? The cupcake and frosting recipes were from Martha Stewart's website. I was not impressed with the final result so I don't think I will be making those again.

DSC_2011-edited


DSC_2013-edited

The kids did have fun dipping the dum-dums in sugar. They ended up doing all the suckers all by themselves. The end result was not completely what I had envisioned, but I am learning to come to terms with this. The kids liked the fact that they got a cupcake, ice cream, and candy.


DSC_2017-edited

Make a wish.

DSC_2018


DSC_2025

DSC_2009

Since we kind of had a garden theme going, I made garden tool belts for the favors. For the two younger cousins, I made more of an apron using an old pair of blue jeans and some fabric scraps that I had in my stash. For the two older girl cousins, I used the pockets of the jeans and made them reversible. Then I added some belts that I found at Goodwill. I put gummy worms and some candy raspberries in the pockets and these were more of a hit than the actual tool belt.

Front view of the reversible apron

DSC_2027

Back view

DSC_2029

The 3 pocket apron
DSC_2032

Back view

DSC_2034

Harper's cousin on the left is wearing the reversible apron on the opposite side.

DSC_2041


I did take photos so look for a tutorial next week. Also in case you missed it, I posted the T-Shirt to Cardigan tutorial yesterday.


Happy Crafty Tuesday everyone.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Those are cute! Great use of belts from Goodwill, too. I think my kids could definitely use some gardening tool belts. Then maybe they wouldn't leave their "tools" all over the yard.

Baking is not my forte either, so good job on at least trying. More than I do. I just buy a cake. Poor kids. ;)

Unknown said...

OOOOHHH....those are so very cute! You are so eco-creative. And who cares that the cupcakes don't look exactly like Martha's (rarely do her recipes actually look like the photos when they are done) - if they tasted good, that is the important thing! Thanks for the tute yesterday too! I am adding it to my never-ending list!

Kimberly said...

Happy Birthday Harper!!! You did a great job on those cupcakes. Much better than I could ever do, that's for sure! I can't bake, even if my life depended on it (which is a good thing it doesn't!). Love the tool belts!

Run Lori Run said...

These are super cute! Wish I had some little ones to make some for!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails