Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Organic Striped Baby Quilt Pattern

DSC_1379-edited

I am very much a beginner when it comes to quilting.  I am still a little intimidated by the process, but I feel like I am slowly getting there.  I decided that I wanted to make a quilt for a baby gift.  I knew I wanted to use organic material, so I found this adorable fabric at fabricworm.com. I fell in love with it instantly.  I did some sketching, some math, and finally settled on a plan.  I decided to do a simple striped quilt utilizing the whole width of the fabric. I used 7 different fabrics.  I already had the Michael Miller woodgrain fabric, which matched perfectly.  I ordered a half yard of all the fabric except the orange dot fabric that I used for the backing.  I used 1.5 yards of it.  I would suggest getting 2 yards of the fabric you are going to use for the backing though.  I had absolutely no wiggle room with the 1.5 yards.  I also had a yard of the woodgrain fabric so I used it for the binding. 

Here's the breakdown:
1 yard of the fabric that will be used as binding and for stripes
2 yards of fabric for backing and stripes
5 half yard cuts of various coordinating fabric

Finished Quilt Size: 40" x 50"
I wanted the stripes to be random widths.  I labeled the photo so that you can see the measurement of each stripe.  I used the width of the fabric selvedge to selvedge.  Then once the fabric was cut I trimmed the selvedge off and made sure they were all the same size.  The ended up being about 40" wide.

DSC_1333-edited

I pieced the quilt top together.  Then I realized that I did not quite have enough for the backing so I added a stripe towards the bottom.  If you use 2 yards of fabric, you should be able to have the whole back solid though.
DSC_1360 

Then I basted the top, batting, and backing together and quilted it. I lined up my walking foot on each of the seams and quilted along each side.

DSC_1358

I used a 2.5" strip for the binding.  I sewed the binding to the back by hand.  I really like how it turned out.  
DSC_1357

DSC_1362











Photobucket 
 





 

Tip Junkie handmade projects




14 comments:

Maggie said...

So cute! I have recently becme obsessed with the idea of making a quilt (thanks a lot, pinterest!) and am always on the lookout for an easy o e to try. This is adorable!

Unknown said...

Oh, Jen. The fabrics are gorgeous and I love the stripe on the back! It is a great, great quilt!!

Digital Scrapbooking Made Easy said...

So cute! Thanks for sharing this. :) If you get a chance, I'd love to have you link up to my party at http://scrapbookingez.blogspot.com/2011/09/one-stop-thursday-linky-party.html. Thanks again!

Karena said...

It's beautiful. I love strip quilts.

www.cookienut.blogspot.com

Stacy said...

That is very cute! I bet whoever gets it is going to be a very happy camper. :) Oh, and you even did some hand sewing...good for you! Last week I did some hand sewing of hems (ick - tailoring!), and it takes so long but looks much better.

Rhiannon said...

Gorgeous! I love the mix of fabrics. I am clueless when it comes to putting fabrics together (unless they are all the same colour!) But yours look so cute together, and really well finished.

KellyS said...

This is gorgeous! Great job!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Looks wonderful! Great job.

Unknown said...

7.14lllllyuan"coach outlet"
"ferragamo shoes sale"
"swarovski crystal"
"ray-ban sunglasses"
"coach outlet online"
"nike free running"
"oakley sunglasses"
"nike roshe run shoes"
"true religion sale"
"longchamp outlet online"
"longchamp solde"
"michael kors uk outlet"
"lebron james shoes"
"michael kors outlet"
"versace sunglasses"
"coach outlet store"
"coach outlet"
"kobe bryant shoes"
"tiffany outlet"
"cheap nhl jerseys"
"true religion uk"
"ralph lauren uk"
"beats by dr dre"
"adidas wings shoes"
"lululemon outlet"
"mont blanc pens"
"mizuno shoes"
"abercrombie outlet"
"mulberry sale"
"calvin klein outlet"
"pandora jewelry"
"cheap michael kors handbags"
"michael kors handbags wholesale"
"ray ban sunglasses"
"mulberry handbags sale"
7.14

5689 said...

zzzzz2018.10.8
prada shoes
jordan shoes
moncler jacket
supreme
christian louboutin outlet

ugg boots
off white shoes
christian louboutin
canada goose jacket

Unknown said...

yeezy
adidas zx flux
hermes outlet online
supreme hoodie
golden goose
lebron 16 shoes
kd shoes
timberland outlet
nike shox for men
ralph lauren uk

zzyytt said...

vapormax
adidas stan smith shoes
birkin bag
calvin klein outlet
yeezy shoes
air jordans
off white clothing
fila shoes
yeezy shoes
lebron 16

zzyytt said...

golden goose
jordan shoes
off white shoes
mbt shoes online
goyard
yeezy boost 700
ferragamo belts
fila shoes
nike lebron 16
goyard

Weaveron Textile said...

Very pretty! I like making smaller quilts too...instant gratification! Love your fabric choices!
To get more design in weaveron textile click on this link....:https://www.weaveron.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails