Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sidelined

DSC_5293-edited
After dealing with my hip pain for several weeks, I finally decided to go to the doctor last week. They ordered a MRI to rule out a stress fracture or labral tear. It was a whirlwind of a day. My thoughts were all over the place with fear of surgery or weeks of crutches. Fortunately, the MRI showed no fractures or tears. My bursa sac was swollen and inflamed so he put me on steroids and ordered physical therapy. He also said no running for 2 weeks. It was probably the best case scenerio really, but I am not sure how this is all going to impact my half marathon training. I am still planning on running, but I guess I will just see how things pan out.
I know in the whole scheme of things my minor injury is not a big deal, but it really has thrown me for a loop. I feel like I have worked so hard to get to a certain point with my running. I am afraid I am going to have to start all over again. Running has become such a stress reliever for me. Without it I have been a little (or a lot if you ask my husband) cranky.
I have my first physical therapy session today so hopefully I will be back in action soon.

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

I'm so glad to hear that you don't have to have surgery. Hang in there. Two weeks will be over with before you know it.

Stacy said...

Sorry to hear about your injury, but at least there is no surgery. I'm sure it is pretty hard with all the training you have done. Just take it easy and follow the therapy. We have these bodies for awhile yet, so we need to take care of them! :)

Corey~living and loving said...

hugs! I'm sorry for your injury. It really makes it hard when you have a goal, and your body gets in the way. I hope the physical therapy helps quickly for you.

Unknown said...

Oh, Jen! I'm sorry. I have a nagging and bothersome hip deal right now, too! I keep putting off the doctor for the SAME exact reasons. After the triathlon, after the next week from hell, after, after, after....

You are a smart woman to get yourself taken care of. And I bet you'll be surprised and will not lose as much of your running endurance as you think. After I ran my marathon I didn't run for weeks, and when I started back up it was surprisingly easy to get right back into it. Get your hip healthy - the rest will take care of itself.

(Don't you love how hypocritical I am??)

Christina said...

Oh dear! I'm sorry Jen. I hope you're able to enjoy this well-deserved rest, and it doesn't set you back too much!

Joanna said...

Bummer :0(

I agree that I dont think you will lose much of what you have worked for already. Your body is pretty conditioned, I'm sure. I bet after a couple of days you will be back into it just the same....and without surgery!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails