Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch



Have you heard of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch? If so, then sorry I am a bit behind on my news. The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is the world's largest landfill. This heap of trash, more than twice the size of Texas, is floating in the middle of the ocean between San Francisco and Hawaii. Click here to read the full story. You can also read why it collects where it does in this story.
When I read stories like these, it motivates me to reduce my own waste. Since I have become more aware of the amount of waste I create, I want to recycle everything. I want to compost our kitchen scraps. It just makes sense. Afterall, I am all for turning trash into something useful.
At work my trash can would be completely full by Friday, now it is nearly empty. If I can reduce the amount of waste I produce by that much in such a short period of time, just imagine the impact if everyone did the same thing. It is simple.... Recycle, Reduce, Reuse, right? Next time you throw something in the trash just think about it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails