Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

What do you think about when you are lying in bed wide awake?

Magnet fun with a cookie sheet and some magazine pages.


Occassionally I wake up either with one of the kids or to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. I usually have no problems falling asleep, but once I am awake it takes me FOREVER to go back to sleep.

Harper woke up last night because she had an accident in her bed. She does not want to wear a pull-up any more so we are trying to beat this bed wetting stuff. Once I crawled back into my bed my mind started racing. I have to admit this is when I usually have my greatest ideas or at least that is what I think at 3:40 am. The other night while laying awake in bed I decided I would take that old cookie sheet that is sitting in the garage and clean it real well, paint it, and let Harper use it to play with magnets. I thought it would be great to take in the car on long road trips (like to MN). Well, as a test run I pulled out some good cookie sheets and magnets for Harper and Miller to play with and it was a bust. Tonight I decided I am not giving up so I tore out some pages from a magazine and placed them on the cookie sheets. It was a success. It occupied the kids for at least 15 minutes.

Last night I thought about food. What I would cook the rest of the week for dinner. What I could cook next week from my new cookbook Fix, Freeze, Feast. Topics I could blog about. Things I wanted to research on the internet. I also thought about how I could make bows out of the ribbon I have in the drawer. I planned out my herb garden. Needless to say I was tired this morning. Why am I so ambitious at 4:00 am?

What do you think about when you wake up in the middle of the night and your mind starts racing?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a mother of a four year old and more often than not i find myself being woken up from my deep slumber by her for either one thing or the other.Thats how it has been for the past 4 years. I usually take a lot of time to fall asleep again.During the time I am trying to sleep , i try hard to block all my thoughts and i almost envy my daughter who almost immediately goes back to sleep or my husband who is snoring away oblivious to the torrents of thoughts that are hammering away inside my head.Thats an introspection / a retrospection time for me. I have this awful urge to call up someone at that hour. I ofetn feel like talking to someone really close to me - a heart to heart chat....And i feel very lonesome. And then the household starts to stir and i wish i would just go back to sleep because my thoughts leave me so exhausted!

Jen said...

I feel the exact same way. I am sure one day we will have a good night sleep again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails