Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Menu Monday

A dinner I made last week. Chicken Sausage with vegetables over linguine with butter & parmesan.


For some time now I have been trying several different methods for getting dinner on the table without going crazy. (Imagine frazzled mom trying to cook dinner with a kid hanging on each leg crying and whining because they are hungry , BUT want my undivided attention.) It is hard to strike a balance between fast and healthy. In order to accomplish this I have to be very organized and plan ahead. That means the grocery list and meal planning starts on Thursday for the upcoming week. I look at the Publix ad to see what is on sale. I decide on a couple of meals for the week and I make my list. I have made several dishes in bulk and have them ready in the freezer, which helps too. Then I go through my coupons to see if there are any matches. I usually have to make a trip at some point during the week to Wild Oats for some items that I can't find at Publix. It is still a work in progress, but overall the stress of getting dinner on the table is less than it was 2 months ago.

I am going to start posting our dinner menu for the week. It helps me stay organized and keeps me honest too. I am actually publishing this on Sunday, but Menu Monday sounds better and most people will not read it until Monday. That is also why Sunday is included.

Here is our menu for this week:

Sunday- Grilled Steak and Baked Scallops (Veggie Burger for me), Freedom Fries (***SC), and Salad

Monday- Tilapia, Portobello Mushrooms, Soba Noodles, and Sesame Grean Beans (**SBD)

Tuesday- Swimming Rama (a spicy coconut chicken and tofu for me- *FFF) on Spinach with Steamed Basmati Rice

Wednesday- Margarita Pork Chops (*FFF), Black Bean Salad, and Cheese Quesadillas or rice if there are leftovers.

Thursday- Amy's pizza with salad or leftovers



*FFF denotes a recipe from Fix, Freeze, Feast: More than 125 recipes to prepare in bulk and by the serving

**SBD denotes a recipe from The South Beach Diet Quick and Easy Cookbook: 200 Delicious Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes or Less (I love this cookbook)


***SC denotes a recipe from Sneaky Chef: How to Cheat on Your Man (In the Kitchen!): Hiding Healthy Foods in Hearty Meals Any Guy Will Love (This is her 2nd book. I am trying out some of the recipes.)




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Thank You! TY! TY!
I don't like to cook dinner but I love eating with my family of 4-Me, dad, 9yo and 7yo. Your Monday meals posts will be great for me to follow! I hope you don't mind me stealing your recipes and your dinner ideas but with trying to go eco-friendly and running a family I barely have time. Again, a big thank you!

Jen said...

Allison,
Please feel free to use any of my recipes or dinner ideas. It is all still a work in progress. I guess it always will be.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails