Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Getting Close

We are getting really close to planting our garden. The bed that will house my herb garden is all ready. My parsley survived the winter and I already have a cilantro plant in the ground. I have basil, thyme, chives, oregano, and lavender seeds to plant this year. My husband finished clearing out the bed that we will use for the vegetables. He already planted 4 strawberry plants that I purchased last week. Soon we will plant our vegetable seeds. This year we are going to try pole beans, spinach, tomatoes, and squash. This is the first time we have had a vegetable garden so it should be interesting to see what happens. My husband also got the rain barrel back out so that we can have water for our new seedlings.

We spent a good part of the weekend in the yard. My husband has really been working hard. He enlisted the kids to help with the weeds, which meant they were both armed with clippers. Eventhough they were very dull from lots of use and no sharpening, it made me more than a little nervous. They spent hours in the yard clipping plants and weeds. Miller did ask me to take his photo at one point, but I was too scared to leave him alone with the clippers long enough to run inside for the camera.

My husband hates dandelions with a passion. He has been plucking them up whenever he sees them. He missed these two somehow. I don't have anything against them personally. I like that the kids love them and they are only around for a short time.

DSC_0287-edited1_filtered




DSC_0286-cropped

One of the advantages of spending hours outside is the little creatures that you discover. The kids love finding ladybugs, worms, roly poly bugs, and of course caterpillars. Look at this little guy.

DSC_0278-edited

I took so many pictures of this caterpillar and this was the best one. He was a fast little guy.

I have been sewing away and promise I will have lots to share next week.

9 comments:

Christina said...

Your garden sounds fantastic!! I agree about dandelions...I don't mind them, and Nadia loves them. that caterpillar is awesome!

Kimberly said...

It sounds like you're going to have lots of veggie goodness this summer. Good job on letting the kids use the clippers Mom! I don't know if I would've been able to do it, I'm too faint hearted ;)

Cara said...

The caterpillar is awesome!
When I was little I use to pick dandelions for my Nana. She had them in little bud vases all around her room. It wasn't till I was much older that I found out they were weeds. She love them either way since I picked them for her.

L~ said...

I live in a community that SPRAYS endlessly...(I think there will be a few laws in place to end this soon!) It is a farming community - and this is in their genes, I guess. Anyhooo...I think it's kinda a hoot when my kids pick the expired dandelions up and blow the fuzzy white seeds all over the neighborhood - kids are BORN to do this - and I can hear a collective *sigh* from up and down the street as they scatter onto the yards of dandelion haters. Does that make me a bad person?! Well, I think your garden will being you lots of joy! Best of luck with it all!!

iMother2.0 said...

What a fun way to get ready for Spring. We're still renting...that's the only thing holding us back from creating a veggie garden. LOVE the caterpillar!

Dawn said...

Yay for your garden!!!

Can't wait to see it come to life~

Cool looking caterpillar, wouldn't want to mess with him!
:)

Leslie said...

Good luck with the vegetables! I'm sure your progress will be well-documented with photos. I'm bummed that we won't be growing anything that doesn't fit on the porch this year, as we'll be doing a big building/renovation project and have decided the green thumb would suffer on the backburner. Next year!

Stacy said...

Sounds like a great garden! Watch out for those chives when they flower...they will spread seedlings EVERYWHERE. I cut off their flowers when they come up. Sorry Bees, but I can only handle so many chives LOL!

Unknown said...

Mmmmm....our herb garden is going in, slowly and I have another bed to rip up and transform next week, too!

We LOVE dandelions in our house...it would make your hubby crazy for sure. Addie picks them and then makes sure to wish and blow the seeds everywhere.

Insurance that there will always be more! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails