Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Project Valentine's Day Cards Completed

We are 99% done with Valentine's Day cards. Harper needs to put some finishing touches on the cards to her teachers. Then we are officially done, which is good since the party is tomorrow.

I decided to go a different route with the Valentine's for Harper's class. I saw these sweet felt fortune cookies on Martha Stewart's website. Since I have tons of felt, I thought it would be perfect to use up some of my stash. I did a test run using pipe cleaners instead of floral wire and they came together really easily. Harper was excited about them too. I cut out all the circles and pipe cleaner pieces. The kids helped glue the pipe cleaners down the middle. Then I wrote little messages on scrap paper and Harper signed each one. I was very impressed. She signed her name 24 times in one sitting. I kept telling her she could take a break, but she was determined. We stuffed all the fortune cookies with the messages and folded them up.



DSC_0331-edited_filtered

I wanted to do pink and red, but did not have enough. So I played it safe and used all the same color.

I wanted to do something very simple for Miller's cards. I knew that his attention span would allow us 15 minutes at the most. So I printed off pictures of dinosaurs and wording that says, "You are dino-mite". I cut them out and had him glue the pieces of paper to card stock. Harper helped by glueing the wording on. We had a small assembly line going.



DSC_0337-edited_filtered


The cards in the back are for his teachers. I cut out scrap paper and he just glued it to the cardstock.

DSC_0339-edited_filtered

I am actually proud of myself because I did not break down and buy anything. Everything we used we had on hand.

Today's theme for Theme Thursday is special. Eventhough it is a bit of a stretch, homemade Valentine's qualify as being special in my book.

See more special treats over at The Land of K.A.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

16 comments:

iMother2.0 said...

Wow! You're soooo CRAFTY! LOVE all the cards! I'm beyond impressed over here, and am now doubting our plans for Vday cards...well, I'd have to have plans to begin with...I will get on this...you've inspired me! :)

Dawn said...

They are absolutely special!!

Those fortune cookies are such a unique idea! Miller's are too cute...who doesn't want to be
DINO-MITE?!

:)

Anonymous said...

Wow...I could only hope to be so crafty! These are so cute!

Megan said...

oh dear, i'm thoroughly shamed by the 99 cent target valentines i bought for both my kids;0. those fortune cookies are wonderful! kudos to you!

cherish.photography said...

super cute!

MGF said...

it is always such a great fleeing to use up items you already have.
Everything turned out so cute.....

chaoticfamily said...

WOW you have true crafty talent - they are all fabulous.

bonggamom said...

That's beautiful! I love the photo of the "fortune cookies" on top of the roses.

Christina said...

Well, aren't you little miss clever! SO cute, and SO original!! Harper will totally have the BEST valentines of the class!

Stacy said...

Yes, those are so special. I LOVE the Fortune cookies...that is so neat! Great job on Miller's cards, too. Very cute and boyish. You are a better mommy than me...I have yet to make their valentines day cards. Maybe next year when Kai is in grade school, but then....maybe not. ;)

Kimberly said...

Those are special Valentine's indeed ~ they were made by hand and that takes time, which we all know is one of the most precious things we can give! Great job!

Killlashandra said...

Homemade valentine day cards are the best. :) I've got a post about homemade valentine crafts for Saturday. Although I wish I had known about those felt fortune cookies. What a cute idea. I may have to use that one in the future with my 4-H kids. What a wonderful and special project.

Shalet said...

Those are great valentines! Love them!!

Unknown said...

Those are incredible! And very special - I'm sure the kids will love them more than any store-bought ones that is for sure!

jamestownboys said...

They ARE so special!!!
I love home made valentines :) Sadly, they are becoming a lost art.

Jaimee said...

Those felt fortune cookies are the cutest thing ever! Sounds like a fun activity for the kids too...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails